Friday, March 20, 2009

Network for success

When I first started my window cleaning company, I was smart enough to do a couple things correctly. I interviewed as many people in my industry that were willing to talk to me. I would find the numbers of different window cleaning companies and just start calling. Little did I know what a great impact it would have on my learning curve.

Over time, I began to receive call-backs from these window cleaners who had a customer that they couldn't get to in a short-time period, and they asked if I would be willing to do the job for their client. Why me? I guess because I made a good impression on them, or maybe they just didn't know who else to call possibly. But either way, I was beginning to see my schedule fill up when it otherwise wouldn't have.

Receiving window cleaning jobs from these mentors of mine was just one of the many benefits that I received. The other, which is harder to place a value on, is the knowledge and advice that I received from them for free. This advice was worth much more than a few window cleaning jobs. So before you head on your way today at full-speed, take some time to consult a few professionals in your particular industry. You may be surprised how much people are willing to help out or share how much they know.

Special thanks to my business mentors who have helped me so much over the past year or two. Brian - Prestige Window Cleaning, Joel - See Thru Window Cleaning, Chris from Fullerton, and obviously the most important one, my dad- First Rate Building Maintenance.

No comments: